Sunday 20 February 2011

What does 200 tons of corten steel look like on the side of the highway?

The Angel of the North by Antony Gormly is a must see if you are traveling to New Castle. It's 175 feet wide and 65 feet high!

On our way up to New Castle, it was dark so all you could see was this humongous winged body that was all black and just barely visible....very ominous.

On the way back it was daylight (well sort of) so I snapped a few pictures.



That's me at the base of it!


Me again at the bottom.









Big welds!



2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Now if only if rotated with the wind!
    It reminds me of one of my (many) favourite winged sculptures: Walker Hancock's "Angel of Resurrection" at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia

    http://explorepahistory.com/displayimage.php?imgId=1495

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the sculpture that this actually reminded me of. "Icarus" by Mike Kirkup

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PM47Hc2a3x8/Sm8f7o2bieI/AAAAAAAAASE/vgG9Xvnxpds/s400/icarus_mike_kirkup_470.jpg

    ReplyDelete