Wednesday 2 February 2011

George Nakashima Woodworker

Thanks to Josh for introducing me to the work of George Nakashima. Since I have been looking at a lot of Japanese woodwork for inspiration, it is great to be able to look at some work of a true master.

I love his style just as much as I appreciate his craftsmanship, maybe more. I actually envy this man's whole lifestyle. He has his studio situated in a complex of sixteen immaculately designed buildings all of which seem to serve his artistic process in some way. I notice that his little world has been deemed cool enough to justify guided tours. I know where I'll be stopping next time I am in Bucks County!

3 comments:

  1. George Nakashima is still alive??? Wow. You might not remember this because you were little, but mom and dad took us to New Hope once and we definitely went into a gallery with a lot of his work, if not his actual studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... no. I was just writing to inform Bobby that he is, in fact, feeding a tree somewhere (and I mean no disrespect. I suspect that this is probably exactly as he would want it). His studio is run in part by his daughter and (I believe) several craftsmen who worked with him for many years. The studios ARE still open for tours, I believe. I've been wanting to go for years

    ReplyDelete