Monday 14 February 2011

Bex Simon - It seems I'm not the only blacksmith in the world who cares about marketing!

So why is Bex Simon so cool you ask? Three reasons: She has a great blacksmith portfolio, she is a Hereford grad, and most importantly, she seems to be a student of marketing like myself.

Bex has a link on her website called "Branding", I shit you not! Has someone out there finally bridged the gap between ancient crafts-person and modern product designer? Judging by her slick website and pink anvil logo, it appears Miss Simon has put down the hand crank blower and picked up the imac, and I applaud her.

Blacksmiths do not simply exist to re-enact the past for crowds of tourists. We are contemporary craftspeople who have much to offer to the modern design world.

If more smiths conveyed an image like Bex Simon's, maybe I wouldn't be asked if I made horse shoes or worked at a renaissance fair as often.



Artist Blacksmith, Metalworker, Female Blacksmith

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I've never seen someone wear so much gear while simultaneously using a chop saw without eye protection. Badly constructed sentence, but you get my point. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I was thinking the same exact thing!

    ReplyDelete