Friday 14 January 2011

Top Set Tools!

Just made these over the break at Arisans. The set has three ball punches and three fullers with a set of dedicated tongs. The tools at all made from billets of 4140 chrome moly I bought on eBay (go figure) for $5 a while back. They were pretty tough to forge and only time will tell if I created all sorts of stress fractures by forging at the wrong temperatures. Good thing we all wear safety glasses in the shop!

The tongs are just made of mild and didn't really come out that great, but they'll do the job. They do have a cool little built-in spring closure which makes me look like I know what I'm doing, so that's a plus.

The leather roll ties the whole thing together so it looks like it was all purchased from an overpriced US blacksmithing web store.

I should be forging like Bottero in no time!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment