Wednesday 26 January 2011

Stainless steel bowl experiment

I started this bowl down in France at Le Forge Robinson with Simon. He was demonstrating to me how stainless sheet behaves when it is forged against a hollow stump.

It was very interesting to see how the edges folded when the center was stretched, and try to keep them flat. This was first experience with raising and dishing sheet, so it was cool to use stainless. I believe this is 304.

When I got back to the forge in holme lacy, I used my new leafing hammer to texture the edges. It became very evident that the peen on the hammer was a little too sharp, but this actually created a really cool texture that almost looks chased.

Ahh, the finish; my favorite part about stainless. First I gave it a go with 3M (nylon mesh)  mop on the buffing wheel in the HE center. After that I moved over to the polishing mop with steel polish. I purposely left excess polish in all the nooks and crannies. The highlights and lowlights of the texture are my favorite part of the piece.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I'd ask you how it works compared to mild, but then, you've just told me that this was your first dishing experience, so I suppose I'llhave to wait until you dish something else. Eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, even though I have little dishing experience, (do candle cups count?)One thing I can say is that the material is much more resilient than mild. It seems to have a memory, and it is very hard to get it to forget where it was and move to where you want it. It is also really, really springy. For every three inches you try to straighten it cold, it goes back two. I pretty much gave up on trying to get the rim of the bowl on the same plane.

    ReplyDelete